Dental 3D Printing – Benefits, Reasons, and Advances Behind its Rise
Now it is observed that all age groups are experiencing problems related to teeth. Luckily, today, the dental industry is undergoing a digital transformation. With new technologies and services, dentists have more tools to improve patient care and business operations than ever before. Among these innovations is dental 3D printing as a service (PaaS), which makes it possible for dentists to use additive manufacturing solutions readily accessible from their network of suppliers.
The technology is becoming increasingly commonplace in dental practices, with many businesses investing in 3D printers and software suitable for creating patient-specific dentures, implants, crowns, and other vital devices.
With so many advantages to be gained from implementing 3D printing in your practice, it’s no wonder this technology is becoming more popular among dental professionals. In this article, we will go over why so many dentists are embracing 3D printing in their practice.
Let us understand how dental 3D printing is benefiting us.
Dental 3D printing offers several benefits that can improve your business. It was valued at USD 3.25 billion in 2021. It is estimated to grow to USD 8.29 billion by 2028 and 19.8% over the forecast period.
More benefits include:
- Improved patient care and outcomes.
- 3D printed restorations offer improved aesthetics and function compared to traditional methods. They can also be designed to fit particular patients and their specific bite and chewing needs.
- Improved efficiency and productivity.
- 3D printing offers a more streamlined workflow and reduces the time spent on administrative tasks such as order processing and inventory management.
- Better training for dentists and dental hygienists.
- 3D printed models can help train new dentists and dental hygienists on proper techniques for diagnosis and treatment.
- Improved collaboration with dentists and suppliers.
- 3D printing technologies can help you communicate more effectively with colleagues, suppliers, and patients.
Now, let us understand why there is a rise in dental 3D printing.
REASONS BEHIND THE RISE IN DENTAL 3D PRINTING
With these advantages, it’s not hard to see why dental 3D printing is gaining popularity. But what are the underlying reasons that have contributed to this rise?
The following can help explain why dental 3D printing is becoming more popular with dentists:
- Availability of Affordable Equipment – With new technologies, manufacturers have made 3D printers more affordable and accessible for businesses. This has given dental practices more options when looking for the right 3D printer.
- Expansion of Dental Service Offerings – As more and more dentists realize the potential benefits of 3D printing, they are investing in this technology to improve their service offerings.
- Improved Awareness of 3D Printing Technologies – The rise in dental 3D printing has led to more dental professionals learning about its benefits. This has helped drive more adoption and implementation of the technology.
DOES IT IMPROVE PATIENT CARE AND OUTCOMES?
Studies show that 3D dental printing improves patient care and outcomes. This is primarily because the process allows dentists to create restorations tailored to their patient’s unique needs and dental conditions.
3D-printed restorations can also be designed to fit a patient’s aesthetic preferences and be built from materials that promote good oral health.
The ability to customize dental restorations has a significant impact on their effectiveness. With the ability to perfectly match dental restorations to specific patients’ needs, dentists can improve compliance and reduce treatment times.
There is also evidence that 3D-printed dental restorations can help prevent complications. Some studies show that dental restorations created with 3D printers have reduced infection rates compared to other options.
This can be attributed to the use of advanced materials that promote better oral health.
Hygiene matters most at the end of the day, so how is it helping us and our dentists to be hygienists?
DOES IT IMPROVE TRAINING FOR DENTISTS AND DENTAL HYGIENISTS?
The ability to create customized training models with dental 3D printing solutions can be a great asset when training new dentists and dental hygienists.
Such models can be designed to demonstrate the proper techniques for diagnosis and treatment.
As a result, they can help improve the quality of training provided to new dentists and increase the speed at which they become effective providers.
Additionally, 3D printed models can reduce costs associated with treatment materials and improve the return on investment (ROI) for dental practices.
This is particularly true for methods that rely on costly, disposable materials for training purposes.
To conclude, dental 3D printing has become a popular solution for dentists and patients to better treatment and hygiene. They use this technology to create highly customized restorations tailored to the needs and preferences of particular patients. Dental 3D printing is a transformative technology that promises to improve the dental industry.
By doing so, dentists can improve their patient experience and outcomes. They can also better train new dentists and dental hygienists to provide care.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Pankaj S. is the co-founder and CEO at ClinicSpots. A serial entrepreneur, Pankaj is a passionate content creator and content marketer. He has more than 15 years of diverse experience in healthcare, entrepreneurship, business, and product development. His creation, ClinicSpots, is a digital health company that empowers users (patients) to find doctors. He envisions creating the world’s next Medical Quora.
FEATURED IMAGE CREDIT: Ivan Babydov from pexels.com.